D365 Finance & Operations and Dynamics AX Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Year End Close

SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted Dec 14, 2022 11:01 AM
    Our fiscal year end is Oct 31 so we are trying to run the "Year End Close" job to roll the trial balance. The job completed successfully for each of our smaller companies but our primary company is ending in an Error state each time. We run after hours to avoid conflicting with business user performance. The only error message I was able to find suggested there was a server connectivity issue but after running 4 times over the weekend, I am not sure what else to do. Additionally, now when I go into the historical jobs that Errored out, the error log no longer has any useful error message. Working with Microsoft, it appears that this is due to a "Year End Close Cleanup" job that apparently is triggered as soon as the "Year End Close" job ends. This makes zero sense to me. Why would this job run when there is an error on the Year end close job? Is there a way to prevent this cleanup job from running? Is anyone else experiencing similar issues with the Year End Close job? We are on version 10.0.29 (10.0.1326.91).

Thanks in advance for any advice!

------------------------------
    Karl Arensdorf
    Corporate Controller
    Mansfield Oil Company
    Gainesville GA

• 2.  RE: Year End Close

TOP CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted Dec 15, 2022 01:40 AM

Microsoft just had this week a Techtalk about improving performance of the Year End Close process.

It is not uploaded yet here

https://community.dynamics.com/365/dynamics-365-fasttrack/b/techtalks?c=Finance
    but it should upload there in the next week of so.
    they had several suggestions there to improve performance, which might solve your issue that sounds like some kind of a timeout issue?
    1. clearing balances on the Dimension Sets form
    2. Not posting a closing transaction if you do not need them
    3. Using the new micro service feature - I guess setting that up might take too long for you right now
    4. reducing the number of dimensions that are carried into the Retained Earning account

Zvika Rimalt
    Functional Consultant
    Vancouver BC

• 3.  RE: Year End Close

SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted Dec 15, 2022 08:10 AM

Zvika – How do you reduce the number of dimensions carried into Retained Earnings? I don't care about pushing any details into Retained Earnings so would gladly reduce to just the main account if that helps.

Thanks,

Karl

• 4.  RE: Year End Close

TOP CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted Dec 15, 2022 11:44 AM
    It's a selection you make on the execution page of the YEC:

Zvika Rimalt
    Functional Consultant
    Vancouver BC

• 5.  RE: Year End Close

SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted Dec 15, 2022 01:22 PM

Ok, so if I select "Close Single" instead of "Close All" for specific dimensions, that should limit the noise being pushed into retained earnings related to those dimensions?

• 6.  RE: Year End Close

Posted Dec 18, 2022 04:51 PM
    Hi Karl,

That is correct, it won't post per dimension into the retained earnings if you pick "Close Single".   You can nominate a dimension value to post to or leave it blank.  It is described below.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/dynamics365/finance/general-ledger/faq-year-end-activities#general-ledger-what-is-the-difference-between-close-all-and-close-single-options-on-the-transfer-profit-and-loss-dimension-section-of-the-year-end-close-process

Cheers
    Phil

Phil Dawson
    Sunpork Fresh Foods Pty Ltd

If you've found this thread useful, dive deeper into User Group community content by role