D365 Finance & Operations and Dynamics AX Forum

View Only
  • 1.  AX 2012R3 - Bulk update price discount agreements

SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted May 18, 2022 01:48 PM
    ​As our released products were not properly configured many moons ago, updating sales price in bulk is proving problematic. Manufactured and purchased items are not coded to belong to groups that would allow us to apply the price increase in bulk (at least as far as I have discovered to date). On a small scale we have verified that applying a x% increase to an item via the price/discount journals and apply such a change on a specific date does work.
    This module does have the ability (at least indicated) to work with excel. After entering one item and selecting the option to edit in excel it does generate spreadsheet with fields that are filled out for the first or second entry. When I add an entry (part number) and publish - An error occurred. The data in the workbook and the behavior of the add-ins may not be correct..Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object....or I will get an error indicating not all fields are complete, etc.
    My research showed one issue might be the price/discount services port is not active in System Administration. I corrected that issue and still get the same message.
    We are currently left with the option - which we are still working towards - of manually adding the 15K items or so as  sales price agreements and applying the update using that approach. With three or four of us splitting up the load and doing it when we have time available we can probably accomplish the task in a month. Of course ownership would like it done, yesterday.
    Suggestions would be appreciated.
    You guys helped me resolve the product change alerts issue, which made me  popular with our QA director.

------------------------------
    Larry Hunter
    Director
    Mooney International Corp.
    Kerrville TX

• 2.  RE: AX 2012R3 - Bulk update price discount agreements

TOP CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted May 24, 2022 07:49 AM
    Hi Larry, 
      I know the edit in excel function for trade agreements works, I've had plenty of clients use it.  One thing I would note:  You're best to use the "Select" button to get your record set correct in AX, then use the Edit in Excel button to export, then publish back to AX, then post the journal.  Rather, don't add any rows manually in Excel, make sure you are only updating prices / dates in Excel. 

There's also retail category price rules that make this process a little easier if you happen to have the retail module and a call center configured.  Even if you're not retail, there are some great features in this module if you do call center / distribution type sales.

Colby Gallagher
    Managed Application Services Manager
    RSM
    OH

• 3.  RE: AX 2012R3 - Bulk update price discount agreements

SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted May 24, 2022 08:38 AM
    Thanks for your response.
    ​They way I read your response, and I know I could be misinterpreting, that would make the function less useful to me in this particular scenario. I am trying to add lines the trade agreements in "bulk." Retail and call center is not configured in our system. We are a manufacturer that does sell items back to a small number service centers.
    We are using the from date to establish an effectivity for the new price and using the adjustment feature to specify sales price and the percentage increase. It generated the results were looking for in testing, but was hoping to speed the process up some by adding a lot of lines to the trade agreement at one time.
    the process would be a lot faster if during configuration or setup, those managing the product information aspect would have added products to groups we could have used to update instead of the individual released item.

Larry Hunter
    Director
    Mooney International Corp.
    Kerrville TX

• 4.  RE: AX 2012R3 - Bulk update price discount agreements

TOP CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted May 25, 2022 08:01 AM
    Larry, 
      You can certainly create new trade agreement journal lines in bulk, but do it from the client in one of two ways:

1. Use the "Select" button to find existing trade agreement lines that you want to edit. 
    2. Use the "Add products" button.  Note that your released products must exist in a category hierarchy for this form to load items.  If you don't have one, you can create a Procurement Category Hierarchy with one "All" node and easily add all items to it.  Once you have the "Available products" populated, you can select in the grid and click "CTRL+F3" to bring up the advanced filter and filter this list down to the items you want to add.  Then check the box next to the item and click the "Add" button, you'll see the "Add selected products" list starts to populate.  You can repeat this process multiple times until you have all the items you want in the "Add selected products" list.  Click "OK" and you will see your journal lines get created.  If you want to edit the prices in Excel, now you should be able to as you have the record set correct prior to export to Excel.

Colby Gallagher
    Managed Application Services Manager
    RSM
    OH

• 5.  RE: AX 2012R3 - Bulk update price discount agreements

SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted May 25, 2022 09:06 AM
    Hi Larry, 

We are on D365 F&O but were in a similar boat to you; our items are not grouped in such a way that they can be pulled into trade agreement journals easily for editing / expiry. We also tend to make price changes that span multiple categories or groups, which further complicated the issue for us. The filtering available under the select button leaves a lot to be desired and I would love to see an advanced filter query added here that would allow us to find anything we wanted using a variety of tables.

For this, we chose to create a customization that when a new trade agreement line is posted for the same item, price/discount group, currency and from / to qty, that it expires the prior trade agreement journal line that matches that criterion automatically, using the from date of the new trade agreement line -1 day. Our team that manages pricing (both purchase and sales trade agreements) can then focus on entering new prices instead of hunting down the old.

This works well for us in the vast majority of our price changes, but we do still audit that we don't have more than 1 active trade agreement line for a given record and it does periodically still require some manual effort (e.g. when volume discount from / to qtys change and the customization wouldn't find a match).

Doesn't help you in your current situation, but it might be something to consider.

Kirk Anger
    StarTech.com
    London ON

If you've found this thread useful, dive deeper into User Group community content by role