D365 Finance & Operations and Dynamics AX Forum

Expand all | Collapse all

Inability to assign Person to User

  • 1.  Inability to assign Person to User

    TOP CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted Mar 03, 2020 05:53 PM
    We have an odd scenario that we haven't seen before.

    We have a worker that recently had a name change and can no longer access D365.

    When we disassociate her worker and try to add it back, we get the following message:

    When we investigated, we find that there are 2 global address book entries. The first appears to be the original record created when she was first set up. This record has the Vendor, Customer and Worker roles assigned to it.

    However, when we are assigning the person to the user, we can only see the second record which has no roles assigned. When this is assigned, we get the original error message.


    Does anyone know why the former role is no longer available to be assigned?

    Appreciate any assistance.

    ------------------------------
    Christopher Ho Yee
    Altius Consulting
    Richmond BC
    ------------------------------
    Academy - Online Interactive Learning from Experts


  • 2.  RE: Inability to assign Person to User

    D365UG/AXUG ALL STAR
    Posted Mar 04, 2020 08:30 AM
    Can you merge the GAB entries?

    ------------------------------
    Kelly Kane
    Customer Experience Manager
    Ellipse Solutions LLC
    Dayton OH
    ------------------------------

    Academy - Online Interactive Learning from Experts


  • 3.  RE: Inability to assign Person to User

    TOP CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted Mar 04, 2020 12:03 PM
    Thanks Kelly!, Yes, we tried, but it didn't work.

    ------------------------------
    Christopher Ho Yee
    Altius Consulting
    Richmond BC
    ------------------------------

    Academy - Online Interactive Learning from Experts


  • 4.  RE: Inability to assign Person to User

    GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted Mar 04, 2020 08:45 AM
    ​Hi Christopher.

    When you set up the worker with her new name, did you perform the "name change" function on the worker record, or did you create a whole new record? Same with the user ID? If you want to break the connection between user and worker, you actually have to delete the user and re-import from AD or manually recreate the user to then be able to assign the right one, there currently is no other way.

    ------------------------------
    Kerstin Newman
    Business Analyst
    StarTech.com
    London ON
    ------------------------------

    Academy - Online Interactive Learning from Experts


  • 5.  RE: Inability to assign Person to User

    TOP CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted Mar 04, 2020 12:04 PM
    Thanks Kerstin! We'll give that a go. Seems like a bug to me. Did you file a case with MS?


    ------------------------------
    Christopher Ho Yee
    Altius Consulting
    Richmond BC
    ------------------------------

    Academy - Online Interactive Learning from Experts


  • 6.  RE: Inability to assign Person to User

    GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted Mar 04, 2020 01:00 PM
    ​I didn't file a case with D365, not sure if that was intended functionality or actually a bug. If you do submit one, let me know what the outcome is!

    ------------------------------
    Kerstin Newman
    Business Analyst
    StarTech.com
    London ON
    ------------------------------

    Academy - Online Interactive Learning from Experts


  • 7.  RE: Inability to assign Person to User

    MICROSOFT MVP
    Posted Mar 04, 2020 04:46 PM
    Hi Christopher,

    Can you share the exact steps you have done here? You can also try to check if there is still a record "hanging" in the table DirPersonUser which contains all these links. If there is one for the "original" worker, then this might be your culprit.

    ------------------------------
    kind regards,

    André Arnaud de Calavon
    Product manager, Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Dynamics Business Solutions
    ------------------------------

    Academy - Online Interactive Learning from Experts


  • 8.  RE: Inability to assign Person to User

    TOP CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted Mar 05, 2020 06:47 PM
    Unfortunately, the deletion and re-creation of the user did not work.

    We did try something else. We removed the Vendor role from the first address book record (26002), so it only had the Worker and Customer record and then added it to the second address book record (27704). When we tried to add the 26002 person, then we were able to add this person to the user.



    Odd behaviour, i don't understand why the change in roles allowed 26002 to be finally available to be associated to the user.

    Anyways, we're not planning to spend a lot more time (especially with MS support) on this as it appears to be a one off.

    Thanks for the help!

    ------------------------------
    Christopher Ho Yee
    Altius Consulting
    Richmond BC
    ------------------------------

    Academy - Online Interactive Learning from Experts


  • 9.  RE: Inability to assign Person to User

    TOP CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted Mar 28, 2020 01:30 AM
    Kudos Andre, you hit the nail on the head. The celebration to our original fix was premature.

    We followed your suggestion and that was the issue.

    After a few weeks in the MS support queue, we finally had this resolved.

    Thanks Andre!

    ------------------------------
    Christopher Ho Yee
    Altius Consulting
    Richmond BC
    ------------------------------

    Academy - Online Interactive Learning from Experts


If you've found this thread useful, dive deeper into User Group community content by role